Re: Profiling gtkmm apps

On Oct 16, 2006, at 2:25 AM, Johan Kohler wrote:
Hi,
What is the usual (best?) way of profiling gtkmm apps?  I am not a
seasoned programmer, and only have a vague notion of what profiling
entails, so any info would be appreciated, whether gtkmm specific or
not.

I've found a couple things to work well. First, if you aren't overly interested in time spent in gtkmm itself, are single-threaded, and can statically link all your code (will still dynamically link against gtk libs), then just use gprof (with perhaps the kprof GUI).

A quite excellent option, if you have access to a Mac, is to use Shark. If you build your app with the gtkmm in Fink or MacPorts, you can use Shark to do some quite nifty profiling and analysis.

Theoretically, you're supposed to be able to use oprofile for this kind of stuff, but I haven't found a good way to get it to provide me with anything meaningful.

- Michael