Re: printing

Murray Cumming wrote:

<snip>

As you can see, the function prototype specifies a return value, but the function returns nothing. Because the method wrapper is commented out, and since the class is derived from Gtk::Dialog I made the assumption that the run method would return something meaningful, but as I said in my previous message, it does not seem to do that.

Are you talking about the result of a test, or just what you thought the
source code did?
I was talking about my own test case wherein I opened the dialog in order to use the resulting configuration in creationn of the print job in the first place. It was there that I was checking the return value of the run method. In the example code that accompanied libgnomeprintuimm, the return value of the run method was ignored. As a matter of fact, the configuration information that was available from the dialog was not utilized by the example program at all. The example merely showed how to instantiate and display the print dialog (and it used the run method, btw).

<snip>
Is there any forecast about when the new cairo-based printing API will arrive?

Maybe in GTK+ 2.10, which should be stable within 6 months:
http://www.gtk.org/plan/2.10/

People are working on it (see gtk-devel-list), and it looks like they
will succeed. It's a difficult job because it needs to be suitable for
Windows and Mac as well as Linux.
That timing will work out well for me. My printing needs are somewhat different from those of say, an editor or other document based application; therefore, programs using bonobo and so forth don't shed light on the part of the printing library that I needed... but it seems that I may not find what I'm used to (the windoz methodology) anyway.

Thanks very much for the information!

Bob Caryl
begin:vcard
fn:Robert Caryl
n:Caryl;Robert
org:Fiscal Systems, Inc.
adr:;;102 Commerce Circle;Madison;AL;35758;USA
email;internet:bob fis-cal com
title:Senior Software Design Engineer
tel;work:356-772-8920 X108
x-mozilla-html:TRUE