Re: printing

Murray Cumming wrote:

My searches through the header files reveal some strange things: for instance, the run method for the printer dialog (in the libgnomeprintuimm library) not only returns nothing (even though it has a return value of "int") it is simply commented out in the class definition header.

Can you be more precise. What function exactly? It has a return value
but it doesn't have a return value?

Maybe you could link to viewcvs, or just mention exact files and
functions.

viewcvs doesn't list libgnomeprintuimm, so I cannot link to that. However, the situation to which I allude above is with

Gnome::Print::UI::PrintDialog::run();

In the file "printdialog.h" in the libgnomeprintuimm library I downloaded (version 2.5.2), the run method is listed in the class declaration but it is commented out. The method as it appears (also commented out) in printdialog.cc is shown below:

/*
int PrintDialog::run()
{
   gnome_print_dialog_run(gobj());
}
*/

As you can see, the function prototype specifies a return value, but the function returns nothing. Because the method wrapper is commented out, and since the class is derived from Gtk::Dialog I made the assumption that the run method would return something meaningful, but as I said in my previous message, it does not seem to do that. My perusal of the gedit source code indicated that a callback function was connected to the print dialog object to handle the different button presses in the dialog. I am guessing that this is probably what should have been done in the wrapped version of the dialog since the buttons displayed by the print dialog are "PRINT PREVIEW", "PRINT", and "CANCEL". Gnome::Print::UI::PrintDialog::run returns the same value regardless of which of those buttons are pushed.

We are all waiting for the perfect cairo-based printing API to arrive in
a future version of GTK+.
Is there any forecast about when the new cairo-based printing API will arrive?

Thanks,

Bob Caryl
begin:vcard
fn:Robert Caryl
n:Caryl;Robert
org:Fiscal Systems, Inc.
adr:;;102 Commerce Circle;Madison;AL;35758;USA
email;internet:bob fis-cal com
title:Senior Software Design Engineer
tel;work:356-772-8920 X108
x-mozilla-html:TRUE