Re: TreeView Design

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 11:19:25 -0500, Gareth Foster <earthwormgaz googlemail com> wrote:

typedef typename Gtk::TreeModelColumn<ColumnType>::ValueType ValueType;

   ValueType value;
   value.init(column.type());

   value.set(data);
   this->set_value_impl(column.index(), value);
}

Here is the catch though ...

typedef T                      ElementType;
typedef Glib::Value<T>  ValueType;

Well, most of the modern frameworks have that kind of generalization. If you want to implement something similar you can not do that without having your own "Type"s. You have to start from scratch and write the hole framework what is not a simple task. Sometimes shared interface is needed even for basic types.

Its using GType, I can't do that. I have looked at Qt, and it seems
there is some great union of common Qt types involved to allow the use
of an API similar to that seen in GTKmm.

I *think* these things are required for this sort of approach to work,
and I'm not sure I like them, or if I will get away with implementing
such a thing here.