Re: TreeView Design

have you not read any of the examples? of course its possible.

To make this clearer, I seem to hit the following trouble in trying to
ape the GTKmm API.

The problem really is how can I have a container that stores various
instances of a templated class, and be able to meaningfully interact
with the classes in that container. For example, assign them.

<code>
struct Base;

template <typename T>
struct Derived { T member; };

std::list<Base *> myList;

for(std::list<Base *>::iterator it = myList.begin(); it != myList.end(); ++ it)
{
 it->member = ???
}

I can see that the TreeModelColumnBase class, and a templated
derivation of it allow me to keep a list of columns that contain an
arbitary data type, but I can't then see how I can later assign that
data, in this case when iterating the tree model.