Menu.....Menu_Helpers vs UIManager?

I'm currently in the process of upgrading from pre 1.2 to 2.4.  I've noticed
that menus have basically two different approaches for creation...
Menu_Helpers and the UIManager.  I'm trying to decide which approach I
should take for this upgrade.  It seems that Menu_Helpers is being replaced
by UIManager. Is this correct?  Is the intent to deprecate Menu_Helpers in
the future?  At the moment, Menu_Helpers would be a closer fit to current
architecture that I'm upgrading.  But if Menu_Helpers is going away then I
need to plan for the extra time to change my architecture.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Jim