Re: Menu.....Menu_Helpers vs UIManager?

On Thu, 2006-04-27 at 13:22 -0400, Jim Barnes wrote:
> I'm currently in the process of upgrading from pre 1.2 to 2.4.  I've noticed
> that menus have basically two different approaches for creation...
> Menu_Helpers and the UIManager.  I'm trying to decide which approach I
> should take for this upgrade.  It seems that Menu_Helpers is being replaced
> by UIManager. Is this correct?  Is the intent to deprecate Menu_Helpers in
> the future?  At the moment, Menu_Helpers would be a closer fit to current
> architecture that I'm upgrading.  But if Menu_Helpers is going away then I
> need to plan for the extra time to change my architecture.

Yes, UIManager is the most favoured API at the moment. I guess we should
think about actually deprecating Menu_Helpers. We'd need to check that
we can do everything without it.

But remember, deprecating doesn't mean breaking. You should use
UIManager because it's better, not because you fear that Menu_Helpers
will stop working.

Well, I guess if we ever did another parallel-install ABI break (like
2.2->2.4) then we might want/need to actually remove something, making
it difficult to port to the new API. But we have no plans to do that
anytime soon.

www.openismus.com