Re: Cross-Platform GUI

wxWidgets is not a very C++ toolkit. Even though it
uses classes, it uses a ton of macros and doesn't use
templates for its data structures, and yes, you
guessed it, macros are riddled everywhere for data
structures. Aside from that, it's quite ok, with quite
a native look on other platforms. UI designers are
hard to come by, but i guess wxGlade should do the
trick. It also takes quite a bit of code for GUI.

FLTK is more C++ than wxWidgets, but it uses function
pointers directly, and u connect them through a
callback function, and I don't know how you can track
other events like just a plan press or a mouse
release,  without using event handling directly. Also,
it doesn't look native on the other platforms, rather
looking quite FLTK-ish all the way. UI designer only
1: FLUID, but my last experience with it was horrible,
so i hoped it has improved. The code needed is lesser
than wxWidgets, but still...very C-ish

gtkmm is more C++, and if you love STL and Standard
C++ libraries, use gtkmm. Very complete, and the UI
designer glade is quite nicely done, but make sure you
plot your UI beforehand. The usage of Macros or unsafe
function pointers are non existent, and the signal and
slots system is quite simple to learn. Also, the
native look is roughly there, except maybe for
Macintosh, but I don't really know how the X11 runtime
on tier side works. The code isn't that much, and with
the gtkmm documentation and a keen eye for searching,
programs can be written quite fast.

Overall, I think gtkmm would be a good choice.
wxWidgets and FLTK are quite cumbersome, and they
don't offer you the flexibility that is found in gtkmm
and/or C++.

Benjamin Lau