Re: Cross-Platform GUI

I've looked into this extensively and one of these days will finish up my blog
writeup on it.  For now:

There are plusses and minuses for each - make a list of the most important
things you need and see how they compare.

Fltk - pretty simple to use.  Nice small, static compiles.  Dialogs are easy
to code but not the best looking.  There is no layout manager, just a awkward
resizable command.  Awkward, static callbacks instead of signal, slots.  No
major backers or major projects using it.  Most examples and documentation
are C style.  I never really understood Fluid as a dialog editor.

wxWidgets - didn't explore too much after looking at code - I guess if you are
coming from Visual C++ it might look more familar.  I've read some comments
against it, other comments that say it works great - I believe Audacity uses
it.   Seems to be a viable option.

There's also Fox toolkit - seems to have excellent Ruby bindings.  No Mac
support.  Seemed pretty ugly.  Supported mostly by 1 person (though he is
very responsive).  No dialog editor.

Gtkmm - gtk is being backed by most major Linux players (Red Hat, Novell,
Sun .... )  And of course Gnome, XFCE, all the Gtk apps.  Gtkmm is very c++
like.  Uses the excellent libsigc for signal/slots.  Has a very good layout
manager.  Confusing library dependencies but uses Pkg-Config to make
compiling easy.  Use XFC documentation, it's much better.  (XFC is a great
library too, but only for Linux).  Gtk apps certainly being used on Windows.
Mac ?? not too sure - maybe others can comment.

Depending on your situation - you might want to look at Qt - it's a good, easy
to use toolkit.  Very cross-platform, excellent documentation.  Good looking.
Very C++ oriented.  The moc signal stuff is non C++ but works well.  Moc
causes Qt to be slow to compile.  Well supported.  As someone who has to sign
the checks, I think it is way too expensive for our use but it's your call.

Don't forget java & SWT - the advances of gcj may bring native compilation of
Swing.  And the next version is supposed to support native widgets.

Bottom Line:  We chose gtkmm based mostly on the industry support for gtk, the
free license, the layout manager abilities, the availability of glade (though
we're not using it yet), and libsigc.  If XFC becomes cross-platform we will
strongly consider it (both use mostly the same gtk wrapper commands).

hope this helps.
John