CellRendererText::edited

Can anybody tell me how CellRendererText::edited (const Glib::ustring& path, const Glib::ustring& new_text) should be used and in what relation it stands to CellRendererText::on_edited (const Glib::ustring& path, const Glib::ustring& new_text) ? If I override on_edited, should I call the base class on_edit(...) or edited(...) after doing my custom stuff ? Is it possible that my assumption is true and edited(...) is only there to avoid a virtual function call when not neccesairy ?

Thanks,
               antonio