From: gtkmm-list-bounces gnome org [mailto:gtkmm-list-bounces gnome org] On
Behalf Of Paul Cornford
Sent: 08 February 2005 13:59
To: GTKMM Lists
Subject: gtk+ and MS Windows

Hi,

Below is a quote from an article by Michael Tschater on "Platform
Independent Software Development"
[http://www.linuxfocus.org/English/October2004/article350.shtml]

On the subject of "GTK+ (with gtkmm)" he says the following:

"Contrary to the professional appearance of GTK+ for Linux, 'GTK+ for
Win32' is not impressive. Clicking on the link on the GTK+-mainpage
immediately results in the warning "The program(s) might crash
unexpectedly or behave otherwise strangely ". (But of course, so do many
commercial programs on Windows.) The stability seems to depend a lot on
the machine, display drivers, other software installed or not present
(status 2004-09-06). The courageous software developer clicks on the
download page anyway and faces a long list of individual software
components for downloading. For a comprehensive package, one searches in
vain. Instead of that an instruction on how to install a number of
software components can be read and to return to the download page if
some specific components are missing. This matches the statement of the
'GTK+ for Windows' webpage: "You are expected to be quite experienced to
be able to use GTK+ in your own programs. This isn't Visual Basic."
After installing the initial components and an unsuccessful attempt to
start one of the sample applications, most of the developers may have
lost their desire to get deeper into it. The very unprofessional
presentation of the 'GTK+ for Win32' components disqualify the software
'package' for any professional application."

Can any of the list members confirm this? I was hoping to use Gtkmm to
develop both Linux and Windows apps.

Regards,

Paul Cornford.