[gtkmm] Question about i18n

Hi,

I read in gtkmm tutorial how to add i18n support
for gtkmm application. I did all that but the application wouldn't display in my language. So I
decided to try a simpler testcase and downloaded gtkmm_hello package. I added Estonian language translation, compiled and installed. The application
wouldn't display in Estonian. Then, assuming I did something wrong, I tried some of the installed languages. Like trying to "export LANG=de" and starting the application. No help! it still displayed in English. I tried other environment variables. Finally after seting LC_LANG=de the application displayed a message tha "C library doesn't support this language, fallback to C". I tested on Mandrake 9.2 where I had installed gtkmm 2.2.9. I get the feeling that my attempts to provide a new translation were ok. Just the activation of a particular language failed. Any comments?

regards,

Veiko