Re: [gtkmm] the future of gtkmm

HI

> I'm encouraged though - my line manager, who's the head of the
> development team, is increasingly looking at me and saying 'what's
> the C++y way to do this?'

That's still a little worrying! What about the times when he doesn't
ask? :-0

> Usually it's something involving polymorphism, virtual method
> dispatch and/or templates, none of which he really understands yet.
> Working on it, although I'm not entirely sure I understand templates
> yet. They're more complicated than they look at first sight.

I must admit I find the opposite as time goes on. C++ Templates the
Complete Guide by Vandevoorde and Josuttis is a must. I assume you
already have The C++ Standard Library by Josuttis?

> Somehow I think it's too early to sell anyone on smartpointers though.

Hmmm. To me they are fundamental. Life's just too dangerous and too
much hassel without them. Have a look at boos (www.boost.org) and start
using them. You'll never go back (It's just like Test Driven
Development).

Regards
Paul

Paul Grenyer
Email: paul paulgrenyer co uk
Web: http://www.paulgrenyer.co.uk

Have you met Aeryn: http://www.paulgrenyer.co.uk/aeryn/?
Version 0.3.0 beta now available for download.