[gtkmm] Re: gcc 3.4-related gtkmm patches needed ASAP

Murray Cumming wrote:
> I'd also like to know how best to get these "g++ 3.4 pre-releases"
> onto
> my system. Is there some easy way to apt-get them onto my debian
> installation? Obviously I don't want to risk messing up my regular
> (Red
> Hat 9) development machine.

I'm using Debian Sid at home, and this worked for me.  3.4 might be in
experimental, but I haven't looked.  It definitely isn't in Sid.

The simplest way is checkout the CVS version and build it in a prefix or
subprefix other than /usr or /usr/local.  I use /home/jonathan.
Something like /usr/local/g++3.4 would probably be even better.

from your home directory from scratch:
$ mkdir src
$ mkdir src/gcc-3.4-BRANCH
$ cd src/gcc-3.4-BRANCH
$ CVS_RSH=ssh cvs -d:ext:anoncvs savannah gnu org:/cvsroot/gcc -z9 co -r
gcc-3_4-branch gcc
[wait a bit for the download.  Password is the empty string]
$ mkdir buildgcc
$ cd buildgcc
$ ../gcc/configure --prefix=[wherever] --enable-languages=c,c++
--enable-version-specific-runtime-libs --disable-checking
--program-suffix=-3.4
$ make bootstrap (or `make profiledbootstrap` for a marginally faster
compiler)
$ make install

The only issues I have had installing this in parallel with my existing
installation has happened building other libs from source.  libstdc++
has been incremented to version 6, but G++-3.3 will link its binaries
against the new version if you use -L to the lib directory under the
prefix you installed 3.4 into.  This isn't an issue with *running*
applications, since they are linked to libstdc++.so.5 and
libstdc++.so.6, respectively, only when building them.

There are (at least) two ways to avoid running into problems with this.
You can ensure that you don't ever link g++-3.3 programs against libs
found in the lib directory for g++-3.4, or you can ensure that only one
symlink exists named libstdc++.so on your system at any one particular
time.  I have chosen the former.

Its possible that I am just inexperienced and that another means exists
to simultaneously develop for two sets of mutually incompatible
libraries on the same system at the same time, but this works for me.

HTH,
Jonathan Brandmeyer

P.S.  I apologize if this doesn't thread properly in the archives; I'm
replying from the daily digest.