[gtkmm] key press problem

Hello,

I'm having trouble with key press/release events. Working from the inner most widget out, the application has a drawingarea which is contained in a notebook page, the notebook is contained in a frame and the frame is used in the call to set_contents() during construction of my class derived from Gnome::UI::App. The drawingarea accepts keypress and keyrelease events via virtual on_key_press_event() and on_key_release_event() functions. All works well until I add similar functions in my application class derived from Gnome::UI::App. The gtkmm book documentation says that a return value of false from these event handlers will pass the event on to the next handler, but reguardless of return value the drawingarea no longer gets the events once I add virtual on_key_press_event() to the main widget.

How do I get handling of key press/release events in both the main widget and the drawingarea? I need to cntl-<key> handling in both widgets.
--
phil