[gtkmm] gtkmm is really big

I'm working with a cross-compiled version of gtkmm (against gtk-fb).  The
target system is mips-based, and everything /has/ to be statically linked.

After some struggling to get everything happy, I've finally succeeded in
linking a gtkmm app (hello world).  I noticed a huge size increase versus a
plain old gtk+ app.  I've run both executables through 'strip --strip-all',
and the sizes are:

hello_gtk    -  2841K
hello_gtkmm  -  5232K

That's roughly an 85% increase in executable size!  Has anyone else seen this
with a static linkage of gtkmm?  Everything was built with gcc-2.95 with -O2.

Is this expected?  If not, any suggestions on what bloated my build?

Thanks
-Seth