Re: [gtkmm] Changes to gtkmm for gtk+2.5 and gnome-2.8

>> >  Also, how are we going to handle the pango upgrade for
>> > GNOME 2.8?  Thanks in advance.
>>
>> I don't think there are major pango additions, and nobody is crying out
>> for them now, so I think that can probably just be done as part of gtkmm
>> 2.5/2.6. Unlike GTK+, pangomm is part of gtkmm, so we can't do
>> independent
>> releases.
>
> The one big thing I can see is the ellipsizing API for PangoLayout.

[snip]
> So the things I see are:
> 1) Ellipsizing in PangoLayout.
> 2) Letter-Spacing in PangoLayout.
> 3) PANGO_TYPE_LAYOUT_ITER.
> 4) Various matrix stuff.
> 5) get_font_map() for PangoContext.
> 6) Font decoder stuff.
>
> I think that's all I see, but I could be mistaken.  I know the
> ellipsizing stuff will be used (I'll use it in Coaster), but to be
> complete, I think we need to wrap the new stuff as well.

So, is there some reason that anybody needs that new Pango API to be
wrapped in a stable pangomm release before GNOME 2.10 [1]? If yes, is
there any reason that they can't just use the C functions? I don't think
it's a lot of API that we are talking about.

[1] When we will have gtkmm 2.5/2.6, wrapping new API in GTK+ 2.6 and this
new already-stable Pango API.

Again, there is no reason not to work on this now in cvs.

www.openismus.com