Re: [gtkmm] Changes to gtkmm for gtk+2.5 and gnome-2.8

On Fri, 2004-08-13 at 09:36 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
> > Hey all,
> > 	How are we going to handle gtkmm for gtk+-2.5?  GNOME 2.8 isn't going
> > to include 2.5, but it will include pango-1.6.  Are we going to branch
> > gtkmm for 2.5, or are we going to wait until it is adopted for the next
> > GNOME release?
>
> No, there is no reason to wait. I would branch gtkmm as soon as we have
> some change that does not belong in gtkmm 2.4. I have not had time to wrap
> any of the new stuff yet, but feel free to work on that.
>
> >  Also, how are we going to handle the pango upgrade for
> > GNOME 2.8?  Thanks in advance.
>
> I don't think there are major pango additions, and nobody is crying out
> for them now, so I think that can probably just be done as part of gtkmm
> 2.5/2.6. Unlike GTK+, pangomm is part of gtkmm, so we can't do independent
> releases.

The one big thing I can see is the ellipsizing API for PangoLayout.
Here are the changes from the NEWS file:

Overview of changes between 1.5.1 and 1.5.2
* Support 'init' feature for Bengali [Sayamindu Dasgupta]
* Allow 32-bit property fields in OpenType code
* Optimize repeated property lookups in OpenType code
* Misc bug fixes [Behdad, Keith Sharp, Morten Welinder]

Overview of changes between 1.5.0 and 1.5.1
* Add ellipsization support to PangoLayout
* Add pango_context_get_font_map().
* Fix metrics for the Xft backend when a transform is in effect
* Separate out backend-independent parts of pangoft2topgm for
  future rendering testbeds.
* Code cleanups (use G_DEFINE_TYPE, make PangoMatrix parameters const)
* Add a GType for PangoMatrix [Torsten Schoenfeld]
* Misc bug fixes [Morten Welinder]

Overview of changes between 1.4.x and 1.5.0
* Allow applications to provide custom font decoders [Chris Blizzard]
* Add support for setting a transformation matrix on a PangoContext
* Add support for rotated rendering to the FT2 backend
* Add metrics for underline and strikethrough position and thickness.
* Add letter-spacing attribute and implement in PangoLayout
* OpenType support in Thai Module [Theppitak Karoonboonyanan]
* Add Add PANGO_TYPE_LAYOUT_ITER [Johan Dahlin]

So the things I see are:
1) Ellipsizing in PangoLayout.
2) Letter-Spacing in PangoLayout.
3) PANGO_TYPE_LAYOUT_ITER.
4) Various matrix stuff.
5) get_font_map() for PangoContext.
6) Font decoder stuff.

I think that's all I see, but I could be mistaken.  I know the
ellipsizing stuff will be used (I'll use it in Coaster), but to be
complete, I think we need to wrap the new stuff as well.