Re: [gtkmm] Developing portable enterprise applications

Murray Cumming Comneon com wrote:

From: Alessandro Oliveira [mailto:alessandro o nunoferreira com br] we found that gtkmm it is a great toolkit and it has a very clean design, although it is slightly slow on windows, I mean its larger than we think it should be.

So you have found that something is slow and you _guess_ it's due to the
size of the library's binary? Or do you have some more information?

I _guess_ that the slowness is caused by the windows port of gtk, since other applications that use gtk seems to be slower on windows, I mean at least gimp and gaim. I mentioned the library's size just for comparition purposes.

Is anything in particular slow? For a database application I guess you are
using Gtk::TreeView quite a lot. That can be slow in some cases, but there
are ways to avoid the problems or speed it up.
We are creating little projects just to test how the toolkits work in order to make a better choice for the bigger one, though we still didn't connect anything to the database.

Actually I would expect gtkmm to be slower than wxWindows on Windows because
gtkmm does not use the win32 API. But I would not expect the difference to
be noticeable by a user and I have no proof that it actually makes any
difference even in unperceivable ways.
As I said before, I think the problem is due to gtk windows port, thanks anyway.

--
Best Regards,

Alessandro Oliveira
Nuno Ferreira Cargas Internacionais Ltda.
Phone: +55-11-3241-2000
Fax  : +55-11-3242-9891

Micro$oft is not the answer. Micro$oft is the question. The answer is NO!!!