[gtkmm] RPMs / spec files / files with the extention .la

Hello.

I'm currently trying to put together a few spec files to build the
various gnomemm components.

By looking at some spec files already created i noticed that they
explicitly 'rm -f %{_libdir}/*.la'. (for example gtkmm.spec). But some
of the components still won't build without them (libgnomeuimm for
example).

In a gtkmm.spec file i read I noticed a comment that said "newer redhats
don't use .la". So, what is a ".la" file? Why would I not want to
package it? Why would a distribution not use it?

Thanks,
James