Re: [gtkmm] retype() and retype_return()

Am 27.07.2002 11:01 schrieb(en) Murray Cumming:
On Fri, 2002-07-26 at 20:23, Martin Schulze wrote:
> Am 25.07.2002 18:36 schrieb(en) Murray Cumming:
> > What functionality do you mean? Bear in mind that I intend to keep
some
> > kind of hide_return() and bind_return() functionality.
>
> I may sound like a broken record but:
> There are only bind, bind_return, hide, retype, retype_return, convert.
> It's really not that much! I consider these adaptors all of equal
> importance. Adaptor one to five in my enumeration form some kind of
> group

bind and bind_return are about dictating _values_.
hide and hide_return are about _ignoring_ parameters
retype and retype_return are about changing the _types_ of parameters.

These are 3 distinct groups, though some might be implemented internally
in terms of others.

> - if you remove one of them there is a lack in functionality.
> So you may either remove them _all_ of them or none - it would be very
> inconsistent to leave two of them that are chosen by mere chance

bind() is clearly the most popular. It is used more and asked about
more.

At least hide() must be used nearly as often - I introduced it for sigc++ 1.1
and up to now there were some 10-20 people who wanted my implementation for
the stable sigc++ 1.0 (doesn't seem much but if you look at the traffic on
the sigc++ ml ...)
As for retype we can't say how much it _will_ be used because it is new
in libsigc++ 1.1.

Regards,

  Martin