RE: [gtkmm] gtkmm and vc++6

Yeah, M$ is famous for having the least C++ compliant compiler.
Now that they have a few C++ gurus leading their Visual C++ team,
things might improve.

> >I'm now going to try the
> >Intel 6.0 compiler.  I suspect this will work fine because the Intel
> >compiler supports all of the ANSI c++ template stuff
> required by libsigc++.
> >It will be a few weeks before I can get my hands on the
> Intel complier.
> >I'll let you know how it goes and submit a patch
> sigcconfig.h.in if it
> >works.
>
> I think we should concentrate on a few (2 or 3) commonly used
> compilers
> instead. Gtkmm compiles fine (even though it's not
> straightforward "yet")
> with mingw32, which is the compiler used by the main author
> of gtk+ port on
> win32 Let's find a way to make it compile with Visual C++ 6
> and 7 (I'll try
> to find a copy). Murray, maybe it's time to create a new
> bugzilla topic or
> to reopen the "gtkmm should compile (and run) on Windows" one ?

As someone that works in a company that does multiplatform development
I have access to Borland/M$ compilers on windows.

So as I said in a previous mail, I migth provide the project files. It
will take a few days because I can only do that during my lunch break.

> >As a side note, I have no problem with gtk+ 2.0 on windows.
> There have been
> >a few quirks, but nothing I couldn't figure out and fix or
> work around.  I
> >even have gnomecanvas working which make be very happy.
>
> That's the reason why Gtk was written in C instead of C++.
> Cross-platform
> portability is much easier than to handle this C++ compilers mess.
>
> Cedric

C++ is portable! Just don't write code that takes advantage of
every single feature of the standard. Even C took ages to become
fully standard across compilers! The standard was approved in 1989,
rectified in 92, and only during 94/95 appeared the 100% fully compliant
compilers.

Paulo Pinto