Re: [GtkGLExt] configure: error: Cannot find GL library

YuGiOhJCJ Mailing-List wrote:

>> Try to use "-lOpenGL", instead.

Uhm, I think the "-lGL" is correct. I never heard of using -lOpenGL
under Unix... -lGL means that the linker is looking for the libGL.so
file, which should be installed on your system by libgl1-mesa-dev package.

1.  Check do you have /usr/lib/libGL.so file. It should be a symlink to
libGL.so.1, so usually

$ ls -Fla /usr/lib/libGL.so

should answer something like

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 May 14 19:14 /usr/lib/libGL.so -> libGL.so.1

If not, something is wrong with the way you installed libgl1-mesa-dev.
If yes, then the linker for some strange reason refuses to find/use your
libGL.so.

2. Can you try linking a trivial C program with OpenGL? For example
paste this:

#include <GL/gl.h>
int main() {}

into a.c, then call
$ gcc -lGL a.c

This should work, producing binary "a.out", and after running
$ ldd a.out

you should see (among others) a line like

	libGL.so.1 => /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 (0xb76ac000)

(The linker follows the symlink libGL.so to libGL.so.1. This is correct.)

3. If the above "gcc -lGL ..." works, then we still have a mystery. Then
the log of ./configure should show some details about what/why fails,
look inside "config.log". If you could post if somewhere and send a link
to the mailing list we may be able to help further :)

Michalis