Re: hello everyone!

On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 1:21 PM, Maximiliano Quinteros
<maximiliano quinteros gmail com> wrote:
> I'm new here and I'm trying to learn how to use gtkdatabox. I want to
> add this widget to my glade project so I put some code from the
> examples in the callbacks.c file generated by glade. When i compiled
> the firts time evrything went wrong and a lot of errors apeared. So I
> added a few bytes to the Makefile.am (that i had seen in the
> makefile.am of the gtkdatabox examples):
> ecg_LDADD = $(top_builddir)/gtk/libgtkdatabox.la\
>     @GTK_LIBS@
> I typed ./configure again, then make ..., and most of the errors
> disapeared! ..., but at the end the shell said to me something like:
> *** there's not rule to build '../gtk/libgtkdatabox.la', necesary for
> 'ecg'. stop.
>
> Anyone has some idea to compile this project???
>
> I'm using GTK 2, glade 1.1.1 and Gtkdatabox 0.3.0.0

Any reason you're using very old versions of the libraries?

Newer versions, at least, of gtkdatabox support the pkg-config
mechanism to get the compiler flags and libraries required, using
pkg-config --cflags gtkdatabox and pkg-config --libs gtkdatabox.

If you're using autoconf and automake, you can take advantage of this
utility by inserting the following line in your configure.in:
PKG_CHECK_MODULES(GTKDATABOX, [ gtkdatabox >= 0.3 ]);

And this in the Makefile.am:
AM_CFLAGS = @CFLAGS@ @GTKDATABOX_CFLAGS@
ecg_LDADD= GTKDATABOX_LIBS@

That should take care of the library dependencies, as long as you have
pkg-config and a reasonably recent version of gtkdatabox.

Also, I don't know if it works in glade < 1, but don't use code
generation, it makes it very difficult to expand your program beyond
very basic and simple stuff. Use libglade instead to dynamically load
the GUI from the .glade file.

-Jim