[gtk-win32] gdk_pixbuf and "png" format files.

I have a program which, during its initialization phase, opens a very
simple, small ",png" graphics file.  The relevant function call is
'gdk_pixbuf_new_from_file()' which is declared in gdk-pixbuf-core.h.
I've built the code under Linux, Cygwin and Visual C++, in each case using
the appropriate version of libgdk_pixbuf.  In the case of gtk-win32 (which
I'm using with Visual C++) this involves using 'libgdk_pixbuf-2.0-0.dll' and
its associated link library, 'gdk_pixbuf-2.0.lib'.

The graphics file is the same physical file on the same physical volume in
all cases - but of course, the Windows path is different because it's in the
usual Windows style of "drive_letter:\path\to\filename.png".

Function 'gdk_pixbuf_new_from_file()' successfully opens the file under
Linux and Cygwin.  But the gtk-win32 version fails, giving me the error
"Couldn't recognize the image file format for file "filename.png".  Remember
that this is the same actual file in all cases.  Can anyone think of a
reason why the win32 version might be failing, when the other versions
succeed?

Thanks,

John