Re: [gtk-win32] Updating a progress bar from a worker thread

----- Original Message ----- From: "Pietro Battiston"

I think it's right to say that thread are rarely needed in gtk
application, and threads that play with the interface can almost always be
avoided

Thanks Pietro.  Actually, you've brought up something here that's puzzled me
ever since I first started looking at GTK development (initially under
Linux).

I too have noticed that GTK programs written by other programmers do have a
tendency to run everything within the main UI thread.  Unfortunately, I've
also noticed how unresponsive these apps can get when they're busy with a
lengthy task.  Trying to move or resize or minimize the GUI can be hugely
frustrating.  Coming from a Windows background, this seems very odd to me
but you're absolutely right - avoidance of threads seems to be very common
practice in GTK programming.

In this particular case, my primary interest was to test the pthread-win32
library (hence why I used a worker thread) but thanks for the tip.  I'll
keep that in mind (about using timeout functions).  Also, idle processing
can be worth considering, depending on the requirement.

Cheers,

John