Re: gvncviewer improvement - input grab problems

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 06:44:01PM +0200, Michal Suchanek wrote:
> 2009/8/21 Daniel P. Berrange <dan berrange com>:
> >>
> >> I agree with this patch, I've done something similar in vinagre, BTW.

> >> I think we should do this one in VncDisplay widget, so that all clients
> >> benefit from it. We could add another signal, say, "connect-error" to
> >> the widget, or just add another parameter, "reason", to current
> >> "vnc-disconnected" signal.
> >>
> >> Dan, what do you think?
> >
> > Yeah, I reckon we should have a 'vnc-notconnected' signal in the case
> > where it fails to connect at all
>
> Adding a new signal would mean that old clients would not receive the
> vnc-disconnected (or whatever) signal and won't suspect a thing.

That's a good point. One other annoying thing about existing signal,
is that there's no way to discover what caused it, whether the connection
closed by client request (vnc_display_close), or because of an I/O
error. As such we should perhaps consider adding a method

  GError *vnc_display_get_last_error(VncDisplay *vnc)

In the case of failing to connect, you'd thus be able to query the error
and see the 'connection refused', or 'unknown hostname', or 'invalid
SSL certificate' errors, etc.

This would also ensure backcompat with existing usage

Daniel
--
|: http://berrange.com/     -o-    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dberrange/ :|
|: http://freshmeat.net/~danielpb/    -o-   http://gtk-vnc.sourceforge.net :|