Re: [gtk-vnc-devel] Regression tests

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 08:46:17AM -0600, Anthony Liguori wrote:
Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
Have you ever discussed having regression tests for Gtk-VNC? I've been able to provoke at least one segfault with a test program (program + patch coming up). I wonder if we should keep such test programs around to test for regressions?
It's funny you post this now as last night I was just thinking about this. I was particularly interested in ensure we don't keep breaking mixed endian support.

My thinking was to write a client and server in the same application. Generate a fake frame buffer, then use every possible encoding to transmit it to the client. Then compare the client and server's version of the frame buffer.

I don't think we'd need to go overboard to write it inside a single
process. If each scenario is a single execution, its easy enough to
fork a server process off for the test case and clean it up after.
Or just spawn a pthread, so its effectively a separate process, but
dies when the test case dies.

Forking is pretty much what Net::FTPServer does to test itself, as in this example:

http://search.cpan.org/src/RWMJ/Net-FTPServer-1.122/t/120greeting.t

This technique has proven to be very robust, even for testing FTP which is a notoriously 'difficult' protocol.

Rich.