Re: [gtk-vnc-devel] Regression tests

On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 08:46:17AM -0600, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > Have you ever discussed having regression tests for Gtk-VNC?  I've
> > been able to provoke at least one segfault with a test program
> > (program + patch coming up).  I wonder if we should keep such test
> > programs around to test for regressions?
>
> It's funny you post this now as last night I was just thinking about
> this.  I was particularly interested in ensure we don't keep breaking
> mixed endian support.
>
> My thinking was to write a client and server in the same application.
> Generate a fake frame buffer, then use every possible encoding to
> transmit it to the client.  Then compare the client and server's version
> of the frame buffer.

I don't think we'd need to go overboard to write it inside a single
process. If each scenario is a single execution, its easy enough to
fork a server process off for the test case and clean it up after.
Or just spawn a pthread, so its effectively a separate process, but
dies when the test case dies.

Dan.