Re: [gtk-vnc-devel] pointer moves... I couldn't get the gdk ones to work...

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 10:05:54AM -0700, Rob Stoddard wrote:
Here I did a bit of work to get the pointer motion from the server working on the Tight encoding. Rather than warp the mouse pointer around, since that would cause problems on computers showing more than one VNC, I created a quad for the mouse pointer and I move that around. The bonus is that the mouse pointer now scales properly as well.

I couldn't get the GDK side of things to work; I am not familiar with the workings of GDK at all... I often wonder why there's a GDK side of this widget now that OpenGL is working well.

OpenGL works well..... *if*... your X server has hardware accelerated supported for OpenGL. On my ATI card without hardware accel in the driver
the plain GTK backend is noticably more responsive. Also OpenGL does not
play nicely with compositing (ie Compiz) unless you're lucky enough to
have a driver supported redirected direct rendering (which is basically
only the Intel driver in F9). So we need GDK around for quite a while yet

In the distant future, I'd like to separate the rendering bits into a separate library and have the current VncDisplay widget just be a client of that separate library. Then you could easily have an OpenGL or SDL front-end. I'd like to do this all around GObject though so I don't foresee a glib dependency disappearing in the foreseeable future.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Dan