Re: [gtk-vnc-devel] Thumbnailing API?

On Thu, Jul 19, 2007 at 09:47:08PM -0500, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> I noticed some TODOs on the wiki for thumbnailing API.  What are the
> thoughts on this?

That's probably better called scaling. I wanted a way to get a mini VNC
widget say, 200x200 pixels which showed a 'live' version of the screen.
Might be some optimizations you can do for the shrinking cases vs the
scaling case, but graphics aren't really my strong point, so whatever
you think works.

> I ask because I'm a day or two away from having a patch that does
> software scaling for GTK-VNC.  It's currently implemented with bilinear
> interpolation.  One of the uses of this (besides full-screen) is live
> thumbnailing.  You would just shrink the widget down to 320x240 and it
> would Just Work.

Scaling would be very nice too - particularly for the full screen stuff.

> Typically with VNC, a client updates as aggressively as possible and the
> server limits appropriately.  Of course, there's nothing wrong with
> further limiting the updates to conserve bandwidth.

Yep, with the thumbnailing think I'd only care about an update every 5 to
10 seconds which would be a nice optimization - not send back an update
request immediately.

Dan.