RE: EXTERNAL: stdout/sterr to GtkTextView at runtime

One way to deal with this is to open a pipe to the program instead of using backticks.

   use Glib qw(TRUE FALSE);

   use IO::File;

   my($cmd)=”/usr/bin/perl test_output.pl”;

   my($fh)=new IO::File(“$cmd 2>&1 |”);

   die “$0: Unable to open pipe from $cmd: $!.\n” if !$fh;

Then, add a function to be called when input is available on that file handle.

   my($io)=Glib::IO->add_watch($fh->fileno(),[qw(in hup)],sub {ioCB($fh,$cmd,@_)});

where the callback would read the file handle, and append what it gets to your widget.

   sub ioCB

   {

      my($fh,$cmd,$fd,$cond)= _;

      my(@lines,$done);

      if ($cond & ‘hup’) {

         @lines=$fh->getlines();

         $done=TRUE;

      } elsif ($cond & ‘in’) {

         @lines=($fh->getline());  #read only one line; may block if we try more

      }

      if (@lines) {

         $buf->insert($buf->get_end_iter(),join ‘’,@lines);

      if ($done && !$fh->close()) {

         showError($!

            ? “Unable to close pipe to $cmd: $!.”

            : “Got non-zero exit status from $cmd, $?.”);

      }

      return !$done;                       #i.e., keep IO channel if not at EOF

   }

$io in the earlier code can be used to remove the callback later, or you can just return FALSE from the callback, as I do above.  You can get more details in the Glib::MainLoop docs and those for the C bindings that module wraps.

Another way to deal with this is to do blocking reads in a separate thread, but if your Perl skills are weak, I’d go with this simpler IO channel approach.

Good luck.

Jim