stdout/sterr to GtkTextView at runtime

Hi,

I'm writing a gui for an existing program that can run for a while. I want to display all possible terminal output of this program in a GtkTextView. So far i failed to display the output at runtime. I tried this

my $iter = $textbuffer->get_end_iter;
my $command = `perl test_output.pl 2>&1`;
$textbuffer->insert($iter, $command);

which isn't working the way i want. My program is blocked while test_output.pl is running. I tried to use

my $command = system("perl test_output.pl 2>&1 &");

instead but while my program keeps running, all output is shown in the terminal again.

How can i achieve to get all output at runtime in my textview? And how do i check if test_output is done running? I found an old solution using Gtk+ itself but my perl skills aren't good enough to reproduce this:
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-list/2006-February/msg00040.html

I'm using Gtk3.

Thanks for any help.