Re: String Encocoding in Gtk-Perl: Hoping for Clarification

On Sun, 2010-05-09 at 10:49 -0400, Alejandro Imass wrote:

Don't know if this is actually related to your problem, but from my
experience GTK or Gnome itself does not support UTF-8 but only single
byte charsets,

this is utterly wrong. GTK+ *only* uses UTF-8, and that's prominently
displayed in the documentation.

 so you need to convert to a single-byte encoding that
is able to be rendered by Gnome. This is what I do for example:

use Encode;

[...]

my $msg = "UTF-8 TEXT";

Encode::from_to($msg,'utf8','iso-8859-1');

  my $dialog = Gtk2::MessageDialog->new ($parent,
                                         'destroy-with-parent',
                                         'question',
                                         'yes-no',
                                         $msg);