POD in tarballs (was Re: Gtk2::Assistant and Button Access)

On 11/26/2009 01:42 AM, Jeffrey Ray wrote:
I think the documentation should be included in the distribution. I
think most perl users expect to be able to say perldoc Gtk2::xxx and get
a response - and to be able find documentation for a >module on CPAN.
is that I think alot of the things you can find here
http://gtk2-perl.sourceforge.net/doc/pod/index.html should be made
included with the Gtk2-perl distribution so that I can perldoc
Gtk2::Assistant and get some documentation

I'm willing to help make this happen if it is decided to include the pod

Yes, I think it would be worth a try. We used to take pride in the small size of our tarballs, but with today's bandwidth availability, I'm unsure whether tarball size still matters that much.

To make this happen, you would need to find a way to hook the POD generation into 'make dist'. The Makefile code for the POD generation is created in Glib::MakeHelper::postamble_docs_full().