Re: Perl bindings and the newest gtk+

--- On Thu, 11/19/09, Chris Debenham <chris adebenham com> wrote:

From: Chris Debenham <chris adebenham com>
Subject: Re: Perl bindings and the newest gtk+
To: "Sergei Steshenko" <sergstesh yahoo com>
Cc: gtk-perl-list gnome org
Date: Thursday, November 19, 2009, 12:21 PM
They are working fine for me with gtk
2.18.3

2009/11/20 Sergei Steshenko <sergstesh yahoo com>:
Hello,

are Perl bindings supposed to work with the newest
gtk+, e.g. gtk+-2.18.* ?

I haven't tried yet, just want to know about gtk+
changes which could break
the bindings, etc.

Thanks,
ÂSergei.

Jonathan Swift - "May you live every day of your
life." -
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/j/jonathan_swift.html

Thanks for the update.

My situation is like this:

1) there is system gtk+, and it's 2.14.*;

2) there is self-built gtk+ and all its dependencies - of course, in
separate from system directories.

I can build any version of anything in these separate directories, but
desktop theme remains common for system applications (e.g. 'firefox' which
I don't build) and for my applications based on "my" gtk+.

So, will the desktop theme compatible with gtk+-2.14.7 stay compatible with, say, gtk+-2.18.3 ?

When I upgraded to SUSE-11.1 with its gtk+-2.14.*, my then gtk+2.12.12
became incompatible with 'qtcurve' desktop theme which came with the
distro, that's why I upgraded my gtk+ to gtk+-2.14.7.

If I upgrade "my" gtk+ to gtk+-2.18.3, the situation with versions will
become the opposite - "my" gtk+ will be newer than the system one.

Well, the question, strictly saying, applies to gtk list, not to
gtk-perl-list :).

Thanks,
ÂSergei.

At its' basic level gtk is backward compatible - so stuff made for
2.14 will work fine in 2.18 (as long as it doesn't use any depreciated
functions from 2.14 which were removed by 2.18, but that is unlikely
in general)
Themes don't generally have any problems - but 'qtcurve' is not just a
theme, it is a theme-engine as well and it is the theme-engine part
which failed as it required some features that were only added in
2.14.  It should continue to work in 2.16 and 2.18 though.