Re: Using Pixbufs and Pixmaps

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 15:56:30 -0600
Travis Boucher <i9169345 hotmail com> wrote:

Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 12:51:19 -0400
From: zentara1 sbcglobal net
To: gtk-perl-list gnome org
Subject: Re: Using Pixbufs and Pixmaps

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 06:46:05 -0600
Travis Boucher  wrote:

I wasn't aware that Gnome2::Canvas didn't require gnome,

See this for a Goo graphing example:
http://perlmonks.org?node_id=702916

Handling transparent images on Goo:
http://perlmonks.org?node_id=695452

zentara

I'll look at Gnome2::Canvas and Goo::Canvas a little closer, however I'd still like to learn how to
effectively use Pixbufs and Pixmaps for doing graphics stuff in layers.

I'm not the expert here, but yeah,  it's a bit complicated because the DrawingArea has no persisitence, and
that was the greatest source of confusion for me. So the technique shown in all
the demos, is to make a "backing  pixmap" on it,  draw to the pixamp( which is a drawable),
then reload the pixmap on every expose event for the DrawingArea.
I'm sure you already know this, but see:
http://perlmonks.org?node_id=583578

So now I attach a layered image script with transparency, on a DrawingArea

Hope it helps you, and any code improvements welcome.

zentara

http://zentara.net/Remember_How_Lucky_You_Are.html