RE: Using Pixbufs and Pixmaps

> Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 13:02:24 +0200
> From: kaffeetisch gmx de
> To: gtk-perl-list gnome org
> Subject: Re: Using Pixbufs and Pixmaps
>
> Travis Boucher wrote:
>
> > My imaginary API would look something similar to this:
> >
> > my $graph = MyGraphClass->new(); $window->add($graph);
> >
> > $graph->add_object(MyGraphClass::Candlestick->new($graph, $open, $close,
> > $high, $low, $timestamp));
> > $graph->add_object(MyGraphClass::TrendLine->new($graph, $ts1, $val1, $ts2,
> > $val2)); $graph->add_object(MyGraphClass::Text->new($graph, "Hello World",
> > $timestamp_anchor, $value_anchor)); ... for every object on the graph
> >
> > Each MyGraphClass::XXX class would inherit from a base 'MyGraphClass::Item'
> > class which would emit events for mouse overs, clicks, etc.
> >
> > The main MyGraphClass class would call a render method for each object, which
> > would pass back a Pixmap?/Pixbuf? which would then be rendered onto the main
> > drawable widget for the graph. I'd like to extend this eventually to include
> > a number of different types of objects on the graph including animations.
>
> This sounds like you want to reinvent a canvas. Take a look at Gnome2::Canvas
> or Goo::Canvas. Or maybe you can even use an existing charting library? Take a
> look at Chart::Clicker, for example.
>
> -Torsten

I looked at Goo::Canvas and Gnome2::Canvas previously.  Although they may work as a base, there are a few reasons I'd prefer to re-invent the wheel.  I am still in the process of learning GTK.  Most of it I understand or can figure out easy enough, but the Pixmap/Pixbuf stuff is still sorta voodoo, and how they relate to widgets and to each other is also voodoo.  I figure a custom graphing widget would be a decent way to learn them.  I'd also like to avoid Gnome and Goo::Canvas to make porting to C and other platforms easier.  (I find prototyping in PERL alot easier and faster then starting with C).