Re: Release: Camelbox 2008.120.0145Z

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 1:12 AM, nadim khemir <nadim khemir net> wrote:
Hi, I recommended to peopl who wanted to use AsciiO to install CamelBox. A few
came back to me complaining they couldn't install because their companies use
proxies, thus blocking downloads.

Could you add the possibility to configure a proxy or is there another easy
way to do the install?

From the NSIS docs for the NSISdl plugin:

NSISdl supports only basic configurations of proxies. It doesn't support
proxies which require authentication, automatic configuration script, etc.
NSISdl reads the proxy configuration from Internet Explorer's registry key
under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings. It reads and parses ProxyEnable and ProxyServer.

I was using a different download plugin that had "better support for
proxies", but I stopped using it because I had a lot of problems
downloading from machines on the same physical network (from my own
private mirror).

That being said, there's nothing to say that you can't create your own
local archive of files; there's a dialog page in the installer where
you can choose which server to download the packaged files from; were
you to have a local archive, you could just point that dialog at it
and things should Just Work.  I'm working on scripting this so that I
can upload a list of files that you can feed to something like curl or
wget, and create your own local mirrors for a specific release that
way.

It would be really cool if you and Adam could agree on a way of working so
people wouldn't have to install two installations of perl. Both of you seemed
happy with yourselves and not really wanting to do anything to change the
status quo. It is understandable but I believe both distribution suffer from
that. I though I'd wait a bit to see if anyone makes a move before I start
haunting you again ;)

I'm in the middle of writing some backend stuff that will make this
easier to do.  Building Camelbox (and by extension, any addons I would
make for Strawberry) manually the way it is right now takes a lot of
time.  There's definitely a lot of room for improvement.

If both of you are going to YAPC::EU, maybe a face to face discussion could
help. There is room at the post YAPC hackathon too. I'm quite sure that you
could get help from the community.

As I live in San Diego (California), I would have a better chance of
making the NA version than the EU version, but I'm not planning to
attend any conferences this year.  Maybe next year...

Thanks,

Brian