Re: Release: Camelbox 2008.120.0145Z

On Sunday 01 June 2008 03.38.48 Adam Kennedy wrote:
I, for one, intend to make the very existence of camelbox superfluous by
making the reason for it neededing to exist go away.

I'm just not in a great hurry to do so.

Currently, GTK is not a problem anyone has apparently wanted solved
enough to do the work required to generate the appropriate packages for
Strawberry (or Chocolate) Perl.

This is not something that will necessarily remain the case.

While you are making CamelBox reason to exist desapear, a good thing, most of
us are trying to make ActiveState reason to exist desapear. I believe
ActiveState is now copying Strawberry and installing a compiler too. It would
be nice to have a review of all windows distributions and a list of what they
support or not.

The situation, on the ground, is that people will often have AsctiveState
installed because they know nothing about Strawberry or are afraid to use it
(or not allowed by their managment). So we come and ask them to stop using
something they believed was OK. Things get even more complicated when they
are asked to install yet another perl distribution to run gtk based
applications.

Note that once you have multiple perl installed, running 'perl' runs only one
of them making people bitter because nothing works as before.

Since the status-quo is not one, I'll pray for a soon to come release with gtk
support and deal with unhappy people in the mean time.

I belive that is it is strategicly important to have support for a/multiple UI
frameworks in Strawberry or any other distribution targetting Windows. I
belive that we, the Perl community at large, have already been miscalculating
the importance of that platform for the success of Perl.

Cheers, Nadim.