Re: docs only return "list" in two spots

On Jan 1, 2008, at 7:29 PM, Kevin Ryde wrote:

muppet <scott asofyet org> writes:

Oh my, you uncovered something very nasty.  The docs for
get_size_request() were actually the wrong docs.

Ah, yes, I wasn't paying attention to that at all (only the call
signature, and looking at the gtk docs for what on earth the whole
size/resize/usize/child_requisition debacle is supposed to do :-).

Long story short:

- widget contains requisition, which means "this is how big i want to be"

- size_request() emits the size-request signal, which is supposed to calculate and set requisition

- user code may call set_size_request() to influence what the size- request signal calculates

- containers call get_child_requisition(), nobody else should

- just don't use set_usize()

- as part of resize and redraw work, the framework will call size_request() to find out how big you want to be, and then decide how much to give you, and then call size_allocate() to emit your size- allocate signal to tell you how big you are.

--
me, while driving the car: Okay, girls, what do you want for lunch?
yvonne: I wan' noo-tulls!