Re: of the difficulty of running gtk-perl applications on windows

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 01:23:43PM +1000, Daniel Kasak wrote:
The active SDK makes it rather trivial to give an .exe to someone
so they can use your app without even realizing it's perl.

Does that actually work for gtk2-perl apps as well? I was under the
impression that there was some issue with the way gtk2 works that
prevents these packagers from finding all the dependencies. I haven't
tried ActiveState's thing yet.

I haven't actually tried it myself, but I'm assuming it can be
made to work.  I had a similar problem with Crypt::SSLeay.  I
just kept adding the missing DLLs by hand until it ran on the
client PC.

Alternatively, I could have them install libGtk+ like so many
python (et al) apps make people do.  In fact, because of that,
they may already have Gtk+ installed.

I think the main problem with the Win32 Build of Gtk2.pm is that
it's from 2006 and lacks some of the nice improvements from 2007.

[Aside: I'm pretty sure PAR will also do this job.  It's been a
few years since I've used it, back before it got new management.

I suspect it does as good a job as the Perl Dev Kit.  The reason
I liked the PDK so much was PerlTray class that made it so easy
to make systray apps.  But, I believe there are easy CPAN choices
for that too now.

Also, I'm not usually a GUI man, but the PDK GUI rocks.]

-Paul

--
If riding in an airplane is flying, then riding in a boat is swimming.
85 jumps, 36.0 minutes of freefall, 69.1 freefall miles.