Gtk2 Treeview/Simplelist and set_tooltip_row()

Is there some trick to getting
$a_simple_list->set_tooltip_row($tip, $path); to work?

It seems like it should let me add a non-deprecated tooltip to a
row of a treeview, but I can't get it to work.

I suspect I'm missing something simple or that it's quite a bit
harder than I think it should be.

-Paul

(I posted this question on perlmonks also
http://perlmonks.org/?node_id=682039, the full source of my
problem demo is here:
http://perlmonks.org/?abspart=1;displaytype=displaycode;node_id=682039;part=1)

--
If riding in an airplane is flying, then riding in a boat is swimming.
85 jumps, 36.0 minutes of freefall, 69.1 freefall miles.