Re: Camelbox, April Fool's Day edition available

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 11:58 AM, Ari Jolma <ari jolma tkk fi> wrote:

[snippage of URL to Camelbox mailing list]

 Why not on this list?

I would refer Gtk2-Perl problems back to this list, but problems with
the installer, or Perl on Windows problems, in my opinon, should not
be on the Gtk2-Perl list.  I would like to keep making release
announcements here however.  Does anyone see a problem with me
continuing to make release announcements here?

What's missing from previous releases:

* Gnome2::Canvas, Gtk2::GladeXML
* glade3

 Hmm, I will need Gtk2::GladeXML.

It's coming.  I'm working on a new release right this second with
updated GTK C libraries.

 I have a bit older GTK+ DLLs in my machine and it used those by default.
Maybe you should put c:\camelbox\bin first into the PATH.

The problem with that is that some of the binaries in unxutilities
have the same names as binaries that come with Windows.  Also, the
part of the installer that does %PATH% manipulation is not that smart.
 I much prefer that *YOU* move it up in your path, than to break your
system when the installer does something under the hood like that.

 I'd like to try compiling my stuff (GDAL DLL, Gtk2::Ex::Geo, etc) into
Camelbox and make them also installable with your installer - how could I do
that?

All of my packages are tarred (using GNU tar) and compressed with
LZMA.  GNU tar is included with the current release (if 'unxutils' is
installed), and LZMA will be included with the next release.  You can
see the lists of files that I feed to tar here:

http://code.google.com/p/camelbox/source/browse/trunk/build/filelists/?r=121

I have a script that generates a list of files on a directory; I run
that script before and after an install of a Gtk2-Perl module, and get
a list of files to tar from that.  There is some tweaking involved to
the filelist once it's generated, but not too much.

You would also have to add your files to the installer program, and
regenerate the installer binary, not too hard to do either.  The
installer I use is called NSIS, and it's available here:

http://nsis.sf.net

The installer script used in the last release:

http://code.google.com/p/camelbox/source/browse/trunk/installer/camelbox_builder.nsi?r=121

Fair warning: the installer script has changed quite a bit over the last week.

You would also need the AddToPath.nsh script (same SVN directory as
above), as well as the Inetc and UnTgz plugins (found on the NSIS
website) for MakeNSISW (the installer compiler program) to build your
own installer binaries.  The good news is that you would be able to
change the default HTTP/FTP mirror in the script to something that you
control, thereby being able to add, download and install your own
packages with it :).

Did that answer all of your questions?

Thanks,

Brian