Re: ComboBox and Tooltips

On Mar 20, 2007, at 9:15 AM, Jeffrey Ratcliffe wrote:

Having successfully compiled Gtk2 1.144 against gtk+ 2.10.11 in a
sandbox, I have just switched all my OptionMenus to ComboBoxes.
However, the Tooltips don't seem to work. Here is a little demo - the
button tooltip works fine, but the combobox not.

What haven't I understood correctly?

Hmm.  Doesn't work on my systems, either.

Yet again, the answer is "there is nothing in the bindings that would cause this sort of behavior, so this is a gtk+ issue."

To wit, i see the exact same behavior from this transliteration of your perl code to C (feel free to include it in your bugzilla report ;-):

/* compile with
gcc -W -Wall `pkg-config --libs --cflags gtk+-2.0` combotooltip.c -o combotooltip
*/
#include <gtk/gtk.h>

int
main (int argc,
      char *argv[])
{
        GtkWidget * window;
        GtkWidget * hbox;
        GtkWidget * button;
        GtkWidget * cb;
        GtkTooltips * tooltips;

        gtk_init (&argc, &argv);

        g_signal_connect (window, "delete-event",
                          G_CALLBACK (gtk_main_quit), NULL);

        hbox = gtk_hbox_new (FALSE, 5);
        gtk_container_add (GTK_CONTAINER (window), hbox);

        tooltips = gtk_tooltips_new ();
        gtk_tooltips_enable (tooltips);

        button = gtk_button_new_with_label ("Button");
        gtk_box_pack_start (GTK_BOX (hbox), button, FALSE, FALSE, 0);
        gtk_tooltips_set_tip (tooltips, button, "Button", NULL);

        cb = gtk_combo_box_new_text ();
        gtk_combo_box_append_text (GTK_COMBO_BOX (cb), "Combo Box");
        gtk_combo_box_set_active (GTK_COMBO_BOX (cb), 0);
        gtk_box_pack_end (GTK_BOX (hbox), cb, FALSE, FALSE, 0);
        gtk_tooltips_set_tip (tooltips, cb, "Combo Box", NULL);

        gtk_widget_show_all (window);

        gtk_main ();

        return 0;

If the monkey could type one keystroke every nanosecond, the expected waiting time until the monkey types out Hamlet is so long that the estimated age of the universe is insignificant by comparison ... this is not a practical method for writing plays.
  -- Gian-Carlo Rota