Re: IDE

Jeff,

I embarked on this same quest about a year ago.  I came up empty-handed, and begun development on a Perl/Gtk2 IDE with MySQL support written in Perl.  If I ever find enough time to get it complete enough for a beta release, I'll let you all know.

If you are using GladeXML for generating your UIs, glade is a partial solution (for widget layout at least).  You still would be left using your favorite editor for writing your perl code, and it sounds like you have yet to find your favorite editor.  Personally, I like gvim/vim.  You have to learn a few commands, but as a programmer I'm pretty used to that, and prefer that method to having to reach for the mouse.

If you don't mind paying some money for an IDE, I seem to remember that ActiveState has a commercial product.  OK...I just found it here http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerlProStudio/?mp=1   I'm not sure if the Pro Studio works with vanilla Perl, or if you have to use ActiveState.  If ActiveState is required that would be a deal-breaker for me.

I hope that helps.

Chris