Re: [OT] Perl question

On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 08:21:26AM -0400, muppet wrote:

On Jun 29, 2006, at 12:15 AM, David wrote:

Sorry for this OT question,

I'm contemplating playing around with building some Perl  modules

It would be nice to install them rather than
constantly invoking "use lib" once I get them "halfway decent".  Of
course, no doubt, I would be doing a lot of "fixing" and
re-installing.  Is there any danger of mucking up my system by doing
so?

You can avoid the whole issue by using a sandbox, or nonstandard
library location.

   perl Makefile.PL PREFIX=/some/place
   export PERL5LIB=/some/place/lib/perl5/site_perl

You can install to this sandbox as much as you like, and even wipe it
away to start over.  When you're ready to install system-wide, just
do perl Makefile.PL, that is, without the PREFIX setting.

This is the approach that we recommend for using unstable versions of
the Gtk2-Perl modules.

What a _great_ solution!  The most sensible thing in the world.

Many thanks for the help.