Re: GStreamer 0.01

On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 19:36:47 +0200, A. Pagaltzis wrote:
* Jan Hudec <bulb ucw cz> [2005-05-27 17:50]:
Shouldn't it really be done in Glib? Glib provides the gint64
and guint64 types and I assume GStreamer just uses them. So it
should be the Glib typemap that maps them to appropriate
Math::BigInt types.

Are you referring to my paragraph about bigint/bignum? That would
be superfluous if GStreamer had Glib typemap, I suppose.

And using Math::BigInt::Lite would be harder (not possible?).

I probably misunderstood the issue in question. I supposed the large
numbers are handled correctly by the bindings, but now I see the issue
is, that the constants are not writable in perl, but if they were
written properly as Math::BigInt, they would be properly passed to the
C level.

But at least the first paragraph still applies: anyone wanting to
do any amount of math on those values will want an XS-based core
library for Math::BigInt (::FastCalc, ::GMP, ::Pari) instead of
the default ::Calc that is pure-Perl.

Sure. Pure-perl implementation of Math::BigInt is damn slow.

                                                 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb ucw cz>