Re: Glade Perl codegen

Hi,

* Osmo Salomaa <otsaloma cc hut fi>:

It still could use some polishing (namely: a man page, some
documentation and an icon), though, but it's basically finished:

http://www.emmanuelebassi.net/linux/perl/gnome-hello-perl-0.3.tar.gz

Regards,
Emmanuele.

I am quite new to programming and I have never released an app before. I
might like to use gnome-hello-perl as a starting point. There's one
general question I'm wondering: What's the standard way to test your app
when writing the code, since the final product should have those @...@
path variables and doesn't run uncompiled. Should I just use absolute
pathnames while writing the code and manually edit before making a
releasable package?

My common practice is to create a sandbox, where I test the application.

Using autoconf, is simple: all I have to do is launch the configure
script with a user-writable directory as prefix:

        ./autogen.sh --prefix=/tmp/usr

If my app comes with a registered MIME type, or GConf schemas, I disable
those options, e.g.:

        ./autogen.sh \
        > --prefix=/tmp/usr \
        > --disable-schemas-install

At this point, I have a working sandbox where testing the correct
installation of files, the correct loading of modules/icons/data, etc.

Regards,
 Emmanuele.

--
Emmanuele Bassi (Zefram)                 [ http://www.emmanuelebassi.net ]
GnuPG Key fingerprint = 4DD0 C90D 4070 F071 5738  08BD 8ECC DB8F A432 0FF4