Re: Gtk2::Ex::DBI-1.0 is out

Gavin Henry wrote:

<quote who="Dan">
Version 1.0 is out.

Hi Dan,

Would it be a lot of work to use this as an accounts package for
VAT/sales/purchases etc.

I like the look of it, but I am not sure if that's what it is indended for.
To get an idea of what Gtk2::Ex::DBI - and it's parent Project: Axis ( not evil ) is intended for, consider this:

What can you do with MS Access?
Now what can you do with Gtk2-Perl?
So what's the difference between the 2?

The main difference in features ( at least for me ) is that Access automates all the backend database stuff. The other difference is that Gtk2-Perl doesn't produce printable output. So that's exactly what Project: Axis ( not evil ) is for - to bridge the gap between Gtk2-Perl and Access - which mainly involves automating the backend database work, ie querying, painting records onto your widgets ( or into your datasheet with Gtk2::Ex::Datasheet::DBI ), and producing printable reports.

As for whether you can use this to build an accounts package, I would say "absolutely". I can't really say how much work would be involved, because I don't really know what you have in mind. However, if all you're doing is adding / editing records, then you will hardly have any work to do at all. Use Glade to create your GUI, name your widgets the same names as your fieldnames, and create a Gtk2::Ex::DBI object to connect to your database, and you're basically done ( you'll have to create some back / next / apply / undo buttons and connect them to Gtk2::Ex::DBI methods too ). Anyway, this is all remarkably simple, and the demo app ( available on my website in the 'where' - download - page ) shows how to use the module. Actually, that example app is a little more complicated that I'd like - I was trying to do too much at once, but it will at least show you what you can do.

If you have to produce printable reports, then you're up for a little more work ( not too much more ). PDF::ReportWriter works well in the couple of places that I'm using it, but defining the report is still time consuming. This is probably the weakest link in the group at the moment - there is basically no documentation for PDF::API2, so adding new features is kinda hard. Soon I hope to add support for images and colours - I've already got most of what I need in place, but I just need a couple of days when I can sit down and remember what's going on and how I was planning on doing things. There's a demo app included in the source anyway - it's very easy to follow.

So I hope I've answered your questions. I suppose I strayed off-track a bit. To summarise: Gtk2::Ex::DBI makes your Gtk2 widgets data-aware, and handles querying and updating the database with changes etc, so you don't have to any of that yourself - just create the GUI and point Gtk2::Ex::DBI at the window and at the database and it will do the rest. Gtk2::Ex::Datasheet is very similar, but instead connects to a TreeView and dumps data into a grid ( datasheet ). PDF::ReportWriter takes an array of data and arranges creates a PDF report based on the fields and groups your define.

Feel free to ask more questions. Also check out all the modules - they all have demo apps ( Gtk2::Ex::DBI's is a separate download ).

Thanks for the interest :)

Dan

BEGIN-ANTISPAM-VOTING-LINKS
If you are not the CanIt administrator and you think this
message is spam, please give the ID 4770 and magic value
5d4a3fe4e12e to dan entropy homelinux org to be marked as spam.

Spam:        http://entropy.homelinux.org/canit/b.php?c=s&i=4770&m=5d4a3fe4e12e
Not spam:    http://entropy.homelinux.org/canit/b.php?c=n&i=4770&m=5d4a3fe4e12e
Forget vote: http://entropy.homelinux.org/canit/b.php?c=f&i=4770&m=5d4a3fe4e12e
END-ANTISPAM-VOTING-LINKS